I Will Destroy You
- “Beautifully crafted poems from the (broken) heart; the masterly Flynn doesn’t drag us into the depths but rises to meet us.”—Library Journal
the deal—if you die
then I will be able
to drink again & no
one alive will even
the dark wind in-
side, but not
—from “Text to be Whispered by the Bed of a Sleeping Child”
Graywolf at 45: Poetry reading co-sponsored by the Poetry Foundation
A poetry reading featuring Nick Flynn (I Will Destroy You), Carmen Giménez Smith (Be Recorder), Erika L. Sánchez (Lessons on Expulsion), Diane Seuss (Still Life with Two Dead Peacocks and a Girl), and Tom Sleigh (House of Fact, House of Ruin). Co-sponsored by and hosted at the Poetry Foundation.
Free and open to the public, with reception to follow.
- “Nick Flynn's fifth collection of poems is riveting, the verses scalding in their passion. . . . I Will Destroy You is a superb book.”—Shelf Awareness
- “Nick Flynn’s poems are gritty and emotional, grim and loving, funny and also about death and addiction and grief. I can’t wait to sleep with this volume under my pillow.”—Lit Hub
- “Each poem is a compelling dynamic where language is shattered and rebuilt to convey truths that are haunting and beautiful. Nobody bends a lyric the way Flynn does to break the heart.”—Washington Independent Review of Books
- “To read these poems is to reach in and touch the scar, the feigned wound, put trust in what may, at any moment, show its teeth, bite, transmogrify into dissolution, deception, destruction and, yes, love.’”—Nuar Alsadir