Jobs and Internships
There are currently no open positions for full-time employment at Graywolf Press.
The annual Citizen Literary Fellowship is a paid, comprehensive fellowship over ten months designed to support a person who is interested in learning more about the publishing industry through an introductory, hands-on experience. It is intended to attract candidates who otherwise would not have access to publishing, and to therefore increase the diversity and inclusivity of the industry. **Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Citizen Literary Fellowship program is undergoing changes in 2020. Please check this page and follow our Twitter for further announcements.
Tasks and Duties
Interns will complete the following tasks and duties remotely. Applicants must have access to a personal computer with high-speed internet for video conferencing and email.
Tasks and duties will include:
- Reading, evaluating, and reporting on fiction, nonfiction, and poetry submissions
- Sending manuscript rejections, requests, and submission guidelines
- Seeking out promising new authors by reading print and online journals, blogs, etc.
- Other projects as needed, including data entry, research, fact checking, and more
Because of extensive interest in the internships, the acceptance process will be highly selective. Ideal candidates will be self-motivated, detail-oriented, energetic, and eager to seek out and support new and original literary voices. Preference will be given to applicants in at least the third or fourth year of an undergraduate degree or who have equivalent experience.
Qualified candidates will have:
- Curiosity and passion for the publishing industry
- Knowledge of contemporary literature, including Graywolf titles
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, organizational skills
- Computer literacy and experience in Microsoft Office and database management
- Dependability, flexibility, a positive attitude, commitment to professionalism
- Undergraduate experience in English or a related field (preferred)
- Advanced reading knowledge of a foreign language (preferred)
Citizen Literary Fellowship
The Citizen Literary Fellowship is grounded in our belief that while diversity in the books and authors we publish is vital, it is equally important that the people publishing these books reflect that diversity. Throughout the year, the fellow will receive active coaching and encouragement from the whole Graywolf team. Our hope is that this fellowship will serve as a doorway to a successful career in publishing or a related literary field.
The fellowship is based in our Minneapolis office. It is a part-time (24 hours per week), non-exempt, ten-month position with a start date in September. Compensation includes $20,000 (paid twice monthly as regular wages), paid time off, and health and dental insurance.
**Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, applications for the Citizen Literary Fellowship are currently closed. Please check this page and follow our Twitter for further announcements.
My expectations have been completely exceeded by the depth of opportunities that this fellowship has afforded me. Yes, this is an invaluable learning experience, but it’s also a chance to sneak in with the gatekeepers—to take a seat at the table and make meaningful contributions to the literary world.